Men who regularly skip breakfast likelier to develop diabetes
London: Missing out on breakfast increases a man’s chances of getting diabetes by more than 20 per cent, compared with men who routinely eat when they get up, scientists have warned.
It follows previous research suggesting that breakfast is crucial to maintaining good health.
The latest results, from a major investigation involving 30,000 men, provide the strongest evidence yet that it can reduce the risk of diabetes.
They show that even men who are not overweight and may have a reasonably healthy diet the rest of the time could still be at risk if they miss breakfast.
The findings emerged as part of a wide-ranging study being carried out into male health by researchers at Harvard School of Public Medicine in the United States.
They tracked the breakfast habits of 29,206 men over a 16-year period. None had diabetes at the start of the study.
The study – published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition – found that those who hardly ever had breakfast had a 21 per cent increase in risk compared with those who did.
And men who ate properly only once or twice a day were 25 per cent more likely to get the condition than those eating three meals.
“Having three main meals a day, including breakfast, seems to be the optimal eating pattern for a decreased risk of type 2 diabetes,” the Harvard team said.
They added that research is needed to see if women are affected in the same way.
Breakfast has been shown to reduce levels of low-density lipoprotein, the ‘bad’ cholesterol responsible for clogging up arteries around the heart.
People who do not eat first thing are also more likely to snack on sugary foods and less likely to exercise.
Dr Iain Frame, director of research at Diabetes UK, said the type of breakfast is also important.
“While it is intuitive that eating three healthy balanced meals a day is good for your health, in this study it is not clear what is meant by breakfast or what it consists of,” he stated.
“As we know, there are various options – healthy and unhealthy – of what could be considered breakfast.
“We recommend a healthy balanced diet, rich in fruit and vegetables and low in sugar, salt and fat, which applies to breakfast and all other main meals,” Dr Frame added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'