`Yogathon` observed in Mumbai on World Health Day
Mumbai: Thousands of Mumbaikars gathered at venues across the city Saturday and participated in a "Yogathon" to mark World Health Day, officials said.
"This was part of a nation-wide initiative by the Art of Living, in the spirit of good health," an Art of Living volunteer said. Bangalore-based Art of Living, founded by spiritual guru Sri Sri Ravi Shankar is a volunteer-based, humanitarian and educational non-governmental organization.
"The challenge was to complete 108 "Surya Namaskars" (Sun Salutations) in a stipulated time. Surya Namaskar is a set of 12 unique "asanas" (postures) that stimulates and rejuvenates the body. It calms the mind and eliminates stress at the physical, mental and emotional level," he added.
The event was conducted at 2,315 venues throughout the country, including educational institutions, corporations and prisons. Various public figures also participated in the event to support the organisation`s attempt to promote well-being.
There were a total of 69 locations in Mumbai alone. Participants were an eclectic blend of youths and adults alike, with winners in the age range of seven to 75.
Holistic health expert Mickey Mehta, former captain of the Indian hockey team Dhanraj Pillay, fashion designer Shaina N.C. and actress Dia Mirza, among others, were also present.
Children from Sri Sri Vidya Mandir, Dharavi also completed the challenge, for which they had been practising for several days. Teams from various other schools and clubs also participated in the Yogathon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Porn survey: Delhi no 1; 'animal porn' in Pune