`Yogathon` observed in Mumbai on World Health Day
Mumbai: Thousands of Mumbaikars gathered at venues across the city Saturday and participated in a "Yogathon" to mark World Health Day, officials said.
"This was part of a nation-wide initiative by the Art of Living, in the spirit of good health," an Art of Living volunteer said. Bangalore-based Art of Living, founded by spiritual guru Sri Sri Ravi Shankar is a volunteer-based, humanitarian and educational non-governmental organization.
"The challenge was to complete 108 "Surya Namaskars" (Sun Salutations) in a stipulated time. Surya Namaskar is a set of 12 unique "asanas" (postures) that stimulates and rejuvenates the body. It calms the mind and eliminates stress at the physical, mental and emotional level," he added.
The event was conducted at 2,315 venues throughout the country, including educational institutions, corporations and prisons. Various public figures also participated in the event to support the organisation`s attempt to promote well-being.
There were a total of 69 locations in Mumbai alone. Participants were an eclectic blend of youths and adults alike, with winners in the age range of seven to 75.
Holistic health expert Mickey Mehta, former captain of the Indian hockey team Dhanraj Pillay, fashion designer Shaina N.C. and actress Dia Mirza, among others, were also present.
Children from Sri Sri Vidya Mandir, Dharavi also completed the challenge, for which they had been practising for several days. Teams from various other schools and clubs also participated in the Yogathon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note