Gold nanowires ‘could repair heart tissues better after attack’
London: A new study has shown that gold nanowires can engineer cardiac patches, with cells all beating in time, which could help heart attack patients in future.
A team of physicians, engineers and materials scientists at Children’s Hospital Boston and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology found that the addition of gold wires to the engineered heart tissue makes it electrically conductive, potentially improving on existing cardiac patches.
“If you don’t have the gold nanowires, and you stimulate the cardiac patch with an electrode, the cells will beat only right where you’re stimulating,” said senior investigator Daniel Kohane, MD, PhD, of the Laboratory for Biomaterials and Drug Delivery at Children’s Hospital Boston.
“With the nanowires, you see a lot of cells contracting together, even when the stimulation is far away. That shows the tissue is conducting,” he added.
After incubation, the patches studded with the gold nanowires were thicker and their heart muscle cells better organized.
Even when they were stimulated with an electrical current, the cells carried out electrical communication between adjacent bundles of cardiac cells in a better way than the patches lacking the wires.
The report was published online in Nature Nanotechnology.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- DNA: 50-lane traffic jam in China during national holiday
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar polls: Two surveys predict majority for Grand Alliance, one give edge to NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?