Gold nanowires ‘could repair heart tissues better after attack’
London: A new study has shown that gold nanowires can engineer cardiac patches, with cells all beating in time, which could help heart attack patients in future.
A team of physicians, engineers and materials scientists at Children’s Hospital Boston and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology found that the addition of gold wires to the engineered heart tissue makes it electrically conductive, potentially improving on existing cardiac patches.
“If you don’t have the gold nanowires, and you stimulate the cardiac patch with an electrode, the cells will beat only right where you’re stimulating,” said senior investigator Daniel Kohane, MD, PhD, of the Laboratory for Biomaterials and Drug Delivery at Children’s Hospital Boston.
“With the nanowires, you see a lot of cells contracting together, even when the stimulation is far away. That shows the tissue is conducting,” he added.
After incubation, the patches studded with the gold nanowires were thicker and their heart muscle cells better organized.
Even when they were stimulated with an electrical current, the cells carried out electrical communication between adjacent bundles of cardiac cells in a better way than the patches lacking the wires.
The report was published online in Nature Nanotechnology.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’