Energy drinks may increase blood pressure and disturb heart rhythm
Washington: Consumption of energy drinks might impact cardiac health by increasing blood pressure and disturbing heart rhythm, researchers have claimed.
They analyzed data from seven previously published observational and interventional studies to determine how consuming energy drinks might impact heart health.
In the first part of the pooled analysis, they examined the QT interval -describes a segment of the heart`s rhythm on an electrocardiogram; when prolonged, it can cause serious irregular heartbeats or sudden cardiac death - of 93 people who had just consumed one to three cans of energy drinks.
They found that the QT interval was 10 milliseconds longer for those who had consumed the energy drinks.
"Doctors are generally concerned if patients experience an additional 30 milliseconds in their QT interval from baseline," Sachin A. Shah, Pharm.D., lead researcher and assistant professor at University of the Pacific in Stockton, California said.
They also found that the systolic blood pressure, the top number in a blood pressure reading, increased an average of 3.5 points in a pool of 132 participants.
"Patients with high blood pressures or long QT syndrome should use caution and judgment before consuming an energy drink," Shah said.
"Since energy drinks also contain caffeine, people who do not normally drink much caffeine might have an exaggerated increase in blood pressure."
The pooled studies included healthy, young patients 18-45 years old.
"People with health concerns or those who are older might have more heart-related side effects from energy drinks," Shah added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH