Keep teeth clean to ward off stroke risk
London: Regular dental hygiene visits and taking preventive measures to maintain good oral hygiene can help prevent conditions that can lead to a stroke, research has revealed.
A team from the Taipei Veterans General Hospital in Taiwan has found that getting teeth "deep cleaned" can dramatically reduce the chances of developing atrial fibrillation - an irregular heartbeat, which is one of the major stroke risk factors.
Even dental scaling done just once a year seemed to have a powerful protective effect.
People suffering atrial fibrillation have a faster than normal heartbeat, which may cause tiny blood clots which break up and travel towards the brain, triggering the stroke.
The team of researchers recruited nearly 29,000 volunteers over 60 with no history of heart trouble and questioned them about how often they went to the dentist for dental scaling, where the build-up of plaque and tartar is removed.
They then tracked them for nearly five years to see which ones went on to develop atrial fibrillation.
The results, published in the International Journal of Cardiology, showed patients who saw their dentist for a scale and polish at least once a year were a third less likely to develop an abnormal heartbeat.
And the more frequently they had it done, the bigger the benefits. It is thought bacteria increase the rate at which arteries get blocked.
British Dental Health Foundation chief executive Dr Nigel Carter said the study highlighted the importance of regular trips to the dentist.
Keeping your teeth healthy can help reduce the risk of atrial fibrillation - one of the leading causes of stroke.
Regularly having your teeth cleaned to prevent gum disease also helps to prevent cavities, receding gums and tooth loss.
In addition it may help fight bad breath.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam