158 stranded people rescued from Kinnaur
Shimla: Over 150 stranded people were rescued by IAF and state choppers, which made six sorties to various locations in the rain-ravaged tribal Kinnaur district on Friday.
The choppers airlifted 158 people from Jangi, Giabang, Pooh, Nako and Reckong Peo and also dropped essential commodities, medicines, pesticides and other articles, official sources said.
So far 1,680 people have been evacuated during the past eight days and the Hindusthan- Tibet National Highway has been opened up to district headquarters, Reckong Peo and a large number of people are being transported by road.
Meanwhile, Chief Secretary S Roy said that resue and relief operations are continuing in full swing and 90 damaged water supply schemes in the district have been restored.
He said that the electricity supply had been restored upto Moorang while telecommunication system was fully functional in main stations like Reckong Peo, Sangla and Pooh, Besides, four satellite phones have been provided to the district administration so that relief and rescue operations could be carried out smoothly.
He said that 31 Horticulture Extension Officers had been airlifted to various parts of district Kinnaur to assist the farmers in restoration of their damaged plants whereas Rs 3.13 crore had been released to the Horticulture department for relief purpose.
The Chief secretary said 30 tents and 400 sleeping bags had been sent to Peo and 1,000 blankets and 500 tarpaulins had been arranged to provide relief and shelter to people rendered houseless in rain related incidents.
Roy said the state government would take up the issue of developing and restoration of old Hindustan Tibet Road to provide and all-weather alternate route to Kinnaur.
All the tourists had been evacuated and the focus now is on the local people who are stranded in different parts of the district, he said.
Meanwhile, several parts of Himachal were lashed by heavy rains.
Nahan was wettest in the region with 96 mm rains, while, Kandaghat and Mehre recorded 85 mm and 79 mm of rains, followed by Jhandutta 72 mm, Dharmpur 61 mm, Berthin 57 mm, Kasauli 53 mm, Una 45 mm, Solan 43 mm, Nadaun 42 mm, Sangrah and Dalhousie 41 mm, Kahu 39 mm, Ghamroor 35 mm, Amb 29 mm, Bilaspur 26 mm, Kheri 25 mm, Renuka 23mm and Hamirpur 22 mm.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015