200 still stranded in Kinnaur as bad weather hits rescue ops
Shimla: Over 200 people remained stranded in rain-ravaged Kinnaur district for the past 10 days as rescue operations were on Wednesday hampered and IAF and state choppers could not take off due to bad weather.
Choppers were positioned at Rampur, Rekong Peo to make sorties to Pooh, Nako, Gaybang and other places but weather conditions were not conducive due to rain and fog, officials here said.
The IAF and state choppers have so far evacuated 1,395 people but about 200 people, including local residents, are still waiting at various places for the choppers.
"We will start sorties as soon as weather improve and try to evacuate maximum persons today," officials coordinating the chopper flights said.
The polling in Kinnaur Assembly segment of Mandi Parliamentary Constituency, which was earlier slated for June 23, will be held tomorrow at numerous places and over 52,000 voters would exercise their franchise.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- Aamir Khan's remarks on intolerance stir controversy; BJP slams, film fraternity split
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'