22 tourists killed in Uttarakhand bus accident
Dehradun: Twenty-two tourists, including 13 children and four women, were killed when their bus overturned and fell into a ditch on the outskirts of this Uttarakhand capital, police said on Thursday.
Twelve passengers were seriously wounded and 10 got minor injuries in the accident Wednesday night near the Shiv Mandir village, seven kilometres from here.
The bus was part of a convoy of eight buses carrying tourists from Haridwar who were returning after a day`s sojourn in Mussoorie.
According to the official, seven other buses returned safely to Haridwar.
The officials suspect that the driver, who escaped from the spot, was intoxicated and lost control of the vehicle at a turn.
Uttarakhand Chief Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank visited the accident site around midnight and announced a relief of Rs 200,000 each for the family of the victims and Rs 50,000 for the seriously injured.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- IRS website hacked by suspected Pakistani hackers, messages like 'Pakistan Zindabad' posted