22 tourists killed in Uttarakhand bus accident
Dehradun: Twenty-two tourists, including 13 children and four women, were killed when their bus overturned and fell into a ditch on the outskirts of this Uttarakhand capital, police said on Thursday.
Twelve passengers were seriously wounded and 10 got minor injuries in the accident Wednesday night near the Shiv Mandir village, seven kilometres from here.
The bus was part of a convoy of eight buses carrying tourists from Haridwar who were returning after a day`s sojourn in Mussoorie.
According to the official, seven other buses returned safely to Haridwar.
The officials suspect that the driver, who escaped from the spot, was intoxicated and lost control of the vehicle at a turn.
Uttarakhand Chief Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank visited the accident site around midnight and announced a relief of Rs 200,000 each for the family of the victims and Rs 50,000 for the seriously injured.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Report of a taxi driver who lends helping hand to patients in Mumbai
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE