35 feared killed as bus falls into gorge in HP
Palampur: At least 35 persons were feared dead as a state run bus skidded off the road and fell into a 1000 mts deep gorge near Mallu area in Kangra district of Himachal Pradesh late this evening.
The Himachal Road Transport Corporation bus, carrying about 40 persons, was on its way from Palampur to Ashapuri temple when it fell down from a hilltop on Palampur-Ashapuri road, 40-km from here, officials said.
The number of casualties was likely to be heavy, they said.
Besides darkness, the soil has become slippery due to heavy rains in the area, hampering the rescue operation as trudging on steep and slippery slopes was risky.
So far only one dead body has been recovered but the chances of survival of passengers were very remote, officials said.
The officers of district administration, including the SDM, DSP, Regional Manager transport, police, fire brigade and medical have rushed to the spot but are yet to reach the bus, officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes