35 feared killed as bus falls into gorge in HP
Palampur: At least 35 persons were feared dead as a state run bus skidded off the road and fell into a 1000 mts deep gorge near Mallu area in Kangra district of Himachal Pradesh late this evening.
The Himachal Road Transport Corporation bus, carrying about 40 persons, was on its way from Palampur to Ashapuri temple when it fell down from a hilltop on Palampur-Ashapuri road, 40-km from here, officials said.
The number of casualties was likely to be heavy, they said.
Besides darkness, the soil has become slippery due to heavy rains in the area, hampering the rescue operation as trudging on steep and slippery slopes was risky.
So far only one dead body has been recovered but the chances of survival of passengers were very remote, officials said.
The officers of district administration, including the SDM, DSP, Regional Manager transport, police, fire brigade and medical have rushed to the spot but are yet to reach the bus, officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees