35 feared killed as bus falls into gorge in HP
Palampur: At least 35 persons were feared dead as a state run bus skidded off the road and fell into a 1000 mts deep gorge near Mallu area in Kangra district of Himachal Pradesh late this evening.
The Himachal Road Transport Corporation bus, carrying about 40 persons, was on its way from Palampur to Ashapuri temple when it fell down from a hilltop on Palampur-Ashapuri road, 40-km from here, officials said.
The number of casualties was likely to be heavy, they said.
Besides darkness, the soil has become slippery due to heavy rains in the area, hampering the rescue operation as trudging on steep and slippery slopes was risky.
So far only one dead body has been recovered but the chances of survival of passengers were very remote, officials said.
The officers of district administration, including the SDM, DSP, Regional Manager transport, police, fire brigade and medical have rushed to the spot but are yet to reach the bus, officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days