35 feared killed as bus falls into gorge in HP
Palampur: At least 35 persons were feared dead as a state run bus skidded off the road and fell into a 1000 mts deep gorge near Mallu area in Kangra district of Himachal Pradesh late this evening.
The Himachal Road Transport Corporation bus, carrying about 40 persons, was on its way from Palampur to Ashapuri temple when it fell down from a hilltop on Palampur-Ashapuri road, 40-km from here, officials said.
The number of casualties was likely to be heavy, they said.
Besides darkness, the soil has become slippery due to heavy rains in the area, hampering the rescue operation as trudging on steep and slippery slopes was risky.
So far only one dead body has been recovered but the chances of survival of passengers were very remote, officials said.
The officers of district administration, including the SDM, DSP, Regional Manager transport, police, fire brigade and medical have rushed to the spot but are yet to reach the bus, officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH