40 killed as bus falls into gorge in Rajera
Shimla: At least 40 people were on Saturday killed and 20 others injured when an overcrowded bus veered off the road and fell into a gorge near Rajera, 8 kms from the district headquarter of Chamba.
While 32 people died on the spot, eight injured persons succumbed to injuries on way to hospital.
The bus was on its way to Chamba from Dulera when it plunged into the gorge near Rajera, K C Shadyal, ADGP, Law and Order, said.
The injured have been admitted to hospital.
Rescue operations are in full swing, he said, adding the toll could rise.
Most of the deceased were from Chamba district.
Chief Minister P K Dhumal has expressed grief over the tragedy and directed the local administration to provide relief to the victims.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?