40 killed as bus falls into gorge in Rajera
Shimla: At least 40 people were on Saturday killed and 20 others injured when an overcrowded bus veered off the road and fell into a gorge near Rajera, 8 kms from the district headquarter of Chamba.
While 32 people died on the spot, eight injured persons succumbed to injuries on way to hospital.
The bus was on its way to Chamba from Dulera when it plunged into the gorge near Rajera, K C Shadyal, ADGP, Law and Order, said.
The injured have been admitted to hospital.
Rescue operations are in full swing, he said, adding the toll could rise.
Most of the deceased were from Chamba district.
Chief Minister P K Dhumal has expressed grief over the tragedy and directed the local administration to provide relief to the victims.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Are educational institutions becoming a tool to showcase anti-national agendas?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Maharajganj
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- DNA: Post demonetisation, India records 7% GDP growth rate in Q3
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'
- Gurmehar-ABVP ruckus: Virender Sehwag represents BCCI not India, says Umar Khalid
- No AC, mattress for Sasikala in prison, confirms DIG; may not be shifted to Chennai jail