52 killed in Himachal as bus falls into gorge
Shimla: At least 52 people, including 18 women and two children, were on Saturday killed and 46 others injured when an overcrowded private bus veered off the road and fell into a gorge in Himachal Pradesh`s Chamba district.
The mishap took place near Rajera, 8 km from the district headquarters of Chamba, when the bus driver lost control over the vehicle after a tyre burst and it fell into the 250-feet- deep gorge, police said.
The 42-seater bus, on its way to Chamba from Dulera, was carrying over 100 passengers with large number of them travelling on the roof of the vehicle when the tragedy struck, they said.
As many as 39 people, including the driver, died on the spot, while 13 succumbed to their injuries in the hospital.
"All the bodies have been recovered," Chamba Deputy Commissioner Sunil Chowdhary said.
The injured were rushed to a hospital in Chamba where the condition of 12 are stated to be critical.
Himachal Assembly Speaker Tulsi Ram and local MLA B K Chauhan rushed to the spot and supervised the relief and rescue operations.
Of the total relief of Rs 1 lakh each announced for the family of the deceased, the district administration distributed immediate relief of Rs 10,000 each to the next of the kin of the victims, while the seriously injured were provided medical aid and relief of Rs 5,000 each.
A magisterial enquiry has been instituted to ascertain the cause of the accident, officials said.
Chief Minister P K Dhumal has expressed grief over the tragedy and directed the local administration to provide relief to the victims.
- IPL 2016: Unsold at auction, Hashim Amla signed by Kings XI Punjab as replacement for injured Shaun Marsh
- NEET 2016: 2nd phase to be held on July 24; Centre and CBSE should start preparations, says Supreme Court
- 12 Jaish-e-Mohammed terrorists detained as Delhi Police foils major terror plot, seizes explosives
- Spectacular view of the Bahamas from space – See pic!
- Kerala law student rape and murder: Oommen Chandy to meet family, promises help