After NCTC, Dhumal opposes RPF amendment bill
Shimla: After NCTC, it was the turn of a
proposal to empower Railway Protection Force (RPF) with police
powers that has come under attack from Himachal Pradesh Chief
Minister Prem Kumar Dhumal.
Opposing the proposal of the Railway Ministry to amend
the RPF Act, he said the move is "infringement of rights of
"The union government is trying to impose its decisions
on states in clandestine and systematic manner to curb their
rights," Dhumal said here.
After NCTC, RPF (Amendment) Bill is another move to
weaken the federal structure of the Constitution, he said.
Dhumal said he has received a letter from Home Minister P
Chidambaram regarding setting up of NCTC.
He said the home minister has clearly stated that the
Centre will discuss scope and functions of the NCTC with the
states and UTs before taking further steps on issue.
Dhumal said Chidambaram has stated that NCTC has been
conferred with minimum powers that are required for any
counter terrorism body and IB shall be the nodal agency for
the counter-intelligence and counter-terrorism agency.
According to Chidambaram, any person arrested by NCTC
will be produced before nearest police station and the SHO of
the police station will take further action in accordance with
the provisions of the CrPC, he said.
Dhumal said the home minister has stated that powers to
arrest and search are bare minimum that would be necessary for
officers engaged in counter-terrorism operation.
He said the Home Minister has stated that NCTC was set up
on the recommendations of second administrative reform
commission which had recommended that multi-agency centres
should be converted in National Centre for Counter Terrorism
with personal drawn from different intelligence and security
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them