After NCTC, Dhumal opposes RPF amendment bill
Shimla: After NCTC, it was the turn of a
proposal to empower Railway Protection Force (RPF) with police
powers that has come under attack from Himachal Pradesh Chief
Minister Prem Kumar Dhumal.
Opposing the proposal of the Railway Ministry to amend
the RPF Act, he said the move is "infringement of rights of
"The union government is trying to impose its decisions
on states in clandestine and systematic manner to curb their
rights," Dhumal said here.
After NCTC, RPF (Amendment) Bill is another move to
weaken the federal structure of the Constitution, he said.
Dhumal said he has received a letter from Home Minister P
Chidambaram regarding setting up of NCTC.
He said the home minister has clearly stated that the
Centre will discuss scope and functions of the NCTC with the
states and UTs before taking further steps on issue.
Dhumal said Chidambaram has stated that NCTC has been
conferred with minimum powers that are required for any
counter terrorism body and IB shall be the nodal agency for
the counter-intelligence and counter-terrorism agency.
According to Chidambaram, any person arrested by NCTC
will be produced before nearest police station and the SHO of
the police station will take further action in accordance with
the provisions of the CrPC, he said.
Dhumal said the home minister has stated that powers to
arrest and search are bare minimum that would be necessary for
officers engaged in counter-terrorism operation.
He said the Home Minister has stated that NCTC was set up
on the recommendations of second administrative reform
commission which had recommended that multi-agency centres
should be converted in National Centre for Counter Terrorism
with personal drawn from different intelligence and security
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state