Aman Kachroo case: HC suo motu notice to accused
Shimla: Taking note of media reports, the
Himachal Pradesh High Court on Thursday issued suo moto notices to
the state government and the four MBBS students who got bail
in the Aman Kachroo ragging case.
Justice D.D.Sood, Special Judge of the fast track court,
in his order, directed the government to get the notices
served on the accused through Superintendent of Police, Kangra
and fixed the hearing on July 24.
The case was listed for hearing for tomorrow in the fast
Aman Kachroo (19), a first year MBBS student at Rajindra
Prasad Government Medical College, Tanda (Kangra) was
allegedly thrashed by his seniors and subsequently died on
March 8, 2009.
A fast track court at Dharamsala, presided over by
Purinder Vaidya had granted bail to his seniors Ajay Verma,
Naveen Verma, Abhinav Verma and Mukul Sharma who were charged
with culpable homicide, not amounting to murder on bonds of Rs
50,000 each on July 17 last.
His death sent shock waves in the state and the
government not only ordered a magisterial enquiry to ascertain
the cause of death but also passed the Anti Ragging Act,
providing for stringent punishment in such cases.
The magisterial inquiry into the incident concluded that
Aman Kachroo died due to injuries sustained in ragging on
March 7 and also held the Principal of the College, Dr Suresh
Sankhyan responsible for it.
The inquiry report also pointed out that many first-year
students, including Kachroo, were subjected to intense
physical ragging in the early hours on March 7.
Advocate General R.S.Bawa assured the court that the
government would do the needful in the case and summons have
been send by special messenger to Kangra SP for serving the
same to the accused.
Rajinder Kachroo, father of Aman, had expressed
disappointment over the decision of the fast track court to
free the four accused on bail and said that it was a set back
for his campaign against ragging.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India