Aman Kachroo case: HC suo motu notice to accused
Shimla: Taking note of media reports, the
Himachal Pradesh High Court on Thursday issued suo moto notices to
the state government and the four MBBS students who got bail
in the Aman Kachroo ragging case.
Justice D.D.Sood, Special Judge of the fast track court,
in his order, directed the government to get the notices
served on the accused through Superintendent of Police, Kangra
and fixed the hearing on July 24.
The case was listed for hearing for tomorrow in the fast
Aman Kachroo (19), a first year MBBS student at Rajindra
Prasad Government Medical College, Tanda (Kangra) was
allegedly thrashed by his seniors and subsequently died on
March 8, 2009.
A fast track court at Dharamsala, presided over by
Purinder Vaidya had granted bail to his seniors Ajay Verma,
Naveen Verma, Abhinav Verma and Mukul Sharma who were charged
with culpable homicide, not amounting to murder on bonds of Rs
50,000 each on July 17 last.
His death sent shock waves in the state and the
government not only ordered a magisterial enquiry to ascertain
the cause of death but also passed the Anti Ragging Act,
providing for stringent punishment in such cases.
The magisterial inquiry into the incident concluded that
Aman Kachroo died due to injuries sustained in ragging on
March 7 and also held the Principal of the College, Dr Suresh
Sankhyan responsible for it.
The inquiry report also pointed out that many first-year
students, including Kachroo, were subjected to intense
physical ragging in the early hours on March 7.
Advocate General R.S.Bawa assured the court that the
government would do the needful in the case and summons have
been send by special messenger to Kangra SP for serving the
same to the accused.
Rajinder Kachroo, father of Aman, had expressed
disappointment over the decision of the fast track court to
free the four accused on bail and said that it was a set back
for his campaign against ragging.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok