Aman Kachroo ragging case: Chronology
Dharamsala: After a 15-month trial, a
fast-track court today sentenced four medical students to four
years rigorous imprisonment in the Aman Kachroo ragging-to-
death case. Following is the chronology of events in the case.
March 8: Aman Kachroo, 19, dies after being ragged by
seniors in the hostel of Rajendra Prasad
Medical College and Hospital.
Post-mortem shows he died of brain
March 10: Four students - Ajay Verma, Naveen Verma,
Abhinav Verma and Mukul Sharma - are
March 16: The Supreme Court issues show-cause notice
against the college principal and seeks
explanation from Himachal government.
March 28: A magisterial inquiry says Aman
succumbed to his injuries caused during
March 30: College principal Suresh Sankhyan suspended
on the directions of the Supreme Court.
April 9: A sub-committee, formed by the Supreme
Court-appointed Raghavan Committee, begins
inquiry into Aman`s death.
Aug 13: A fast-track court in Dharamsala books the
four accused for murder.
Aug 17: The state assembly passes Himachal Pradesh
Educational Institutions (Prohibition of Ragging) Act, 2009,
making ragging a cognisable and non-bailable offence.
Aug 22: Trial begins in the court.
July 17: After 16 months in custody, the trial court
grants bail to the four accused.
July 22: The Himachal Pradesh High Court takes suo
motu cognisance of the bail granted.
July 28: The High Court cancels the bail and orders
the accused to surrender next day.
Aug 2: The court resumes the trial.
Aug 28: Aman`s father Rajendra Kachroo deposes before
the court for the first time. Says Aman had given a written
complaint to college authorities regarding ragging incidents
but college did not take any action.
Oct 28: The court begins final hearing.
Oct 30: The court reserves judgment for November 11.
Nov 11: The court sentences all the four accused to
four years rigorous imprisonment on charges of culpable
homicide not amounting to murder.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves