Ample evidence against Virbhadra: BJP
New Delhi: In the wake of allegations that former Union Minister Virbhadra Singh had received payments from a private steel firm, BJP on Moday claimed there is ample admissible evidence against the Congress leader and demanded a SIT probe into the matter.
BJP refuted Congress party`s attempt to draw parallels between this case and the Jain Hawala Diary case in which LK Advani had faced allegations but was later given a clean chit. In both these cases, diary entries are the main evidence.
Singh has dismissed the charges against him.
In an article circulated by BJP, Leader of the Opposition in Rajya Sabha Arun Jaitley has reasoned that the two cases are different and demanded that since CBI, ED staff have also been shown in the Ispat diaries as recipients of the money, only a SIT probe can bring out the truth.
Arguing that the account books recovered during an Income Tax raid on Ispat Industries are admissible evidence, Jaitley said "these are regular books of accounts. There is a serial number, date of payment or reciept, the person to whom the payment is made, the person who authorised the payment, the quantum of money paid or received and the balance which remains in the account."
He alleges these regular books of accounts also reflect a "criminal conspiracy" between a bribe giver and a bribe taker.
With Himachal Pradesh assembly elections, which Congress is contesting under Singh`s leadership, BJP ostensibly sees an opportunity in the case to take on the former Chief Minister.
"Were these facts known to the Prime Minister and the Congress President when they took certain decisions with regard to Congress party`s organisational changes in Himachal Pradesh? Their silence will reflect on their condonation of corruption," Jaitley said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez