Ample evidence against Virbhadra: BJP
New Delhi: In the wake of allegations that former Union Minister Virbhadra Singh had received payments from a private steel firm, BJP on Moday claimed there is ample admissible evidence against the Congress leader and demanded a SIT probe into the matter.
BJP refuted Congress party`s attempt to draw parallels between this case and the Jain Hawala Diary case in which LK Advani had faced allegations but was later given a clean chit. In both these cases, diary entries are the main evidence.
Singh has dismissed the charges against him.
In an article circulated by BJP, Leader of the Opposition in Rajya Sabha Arun Jaitley has reasoned that the two cases are different and demanded that since CBI, ED staff have also been shown in the Ispat diaries as recipients of the money, only a SIT probe can bring out the truth.
Arguing that the account books recovered during an Income Tax raid on Ispat Industries are admissible evidence, Jaitley said "these are regular books of accounts. There is a serial number, date of payment or reciept, the person to whom the payment is made, the person who authorised the payment, the quantum of money paid or received and the balance which remains in the account."
He alleges these regular books of accounts also reflect a "criminal conspiracy" between a bribe giver and a bribe taker.
With Himachal Pradesh assembly elections, which Congress is contesting under Singh`s leadership, BJP ostensibly sees an opportunity in the case to take on the former Chief Minister.
"Were these facts known to the Prime Minister and the Congress President when they took certain decisions with regard to Congress party`s organisational changes in Himachal Pradesh? Their silence will reflect on their condonation of corruption," Jaitley said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- DNA: How India became world's largest arms importer
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in 94 seats, BJP ahead in 56; counting underway
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Results 2017 LIVE: Mumbai Congress chief Sanjay Nirupam offers resignation; Shiv Sena ahead in BMC polls
- Thane Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Counting underway; Shiv Sena leads the race