Annandale ground to stay with Army: HP govt
Shimla: The sprawling Annandale ground of critical importance for Army would stay with the Army and Himachal Pradesh government would withdraw the "arbitration proceedings" to get back the ground whose lease expired about three decades ago.
An assurance in this regard was given by Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh to GOC-in-Chief, Western Command, Lt Gen Sanjiv Chachra, who met him here today.
The Annandale ground had become bone of contention between the previous BJP government and the Army as the state government wanted the ground back and Himachal Pradesh Cricket Association, headed by Anurag Thakur, MP, a son of former Chief Minister P K Dhumal, was keen to develop a cricket stadium there.
Lt Gen Chachra stressed on the criticality of Annandale ground for operations of the Army along the Northern borders as also for an unforeseen disaster relief contingency operations and the Chief Minister said necessary directions would be given to withdraw the arbitration proceedings.
He assured the Army Commander that status quo would be maintained in respect of Annandale ground, an army release said.
Snubbing the HPCA for demanding possession of the ground for developing a multipurpose stadium, the Army had on Sunday said the country`s security can`t be ignored for any game.
"The fact that Annandale ground is of strategic significance for the Army from the national security perspective can never be ignored in favour of any game and gimmicks", a Western Command statement said.
The Chief Minister also assured Lt Gen Chachra to sympathetically consider expeditious land acquisition and other formalities for early development of a military station in Una in Himachal Pradesh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends