Another ragging incident in HP, interim bail for accused
Mandi: A final-year student of government polytechnic college-Sundarnagar has been booked on charges of ragging a girl student. According to police, the first year student yesterday filed a complaint against the senior of the mechanical branch of the same college.
The accused Atul Chaudhary, however, was today granted interim bail after he moved a Sessions Court here. The court has fixed September 5 as next date of hearing. Deputy Superintendent of Police, Sundernagar, Kulbhushan Verma said a case under the provisions of Himachal Pradesh Educational Institutions (Prohibition of Ragging) Act 2009 read with sections 354 (assault or criminal force to woman with intent to outrage her modesty) and 509 (Word, gesture or act intended to insult the modesty of a woman) of IPC has been registered against the student.
According to sources, the college has suspended the final year student and the case has been forwarded to a committee specially formed to deal with such cases. The college has previously also seen incidents of ragging. In 2012, the college suspended two students for ragging and torturing Rishi Dutta, a first-year student of automobile engineering. He had wounds and burn marks on his body.
Himachal Pradesh has implemented strict anti-ragging laws after the Aman Kachroo case. The first year student of Rajendra Prasad Tanda Medical College in Kangra had died in March 2009 after being beaten up by four of his drunken seniors who were sentenced to four years rigorous imprisonment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan