Another ragging incident in HP, interim bail for accused
Mandi: A final-year student of government polytechnic college-Sundarnagar has been booked on charges of ragging a girl student. According to police, the first year student yesterday filed a complaint against the senior of the mechanical branch of the same college.
The accused Atul Chaudhary, however, was today granted interim bail after he moved a Sessions Court here. The court has fixed September 5 as next date of hearing. Deputy Superintendent of Police, Sundernagar, Kulbhushan Verma said a case under the provisions of Himachal Pradesh Educational Institutions (Prohibition of Ragging) Act 2009 read with sections 354 (assault or criminal force to woman with intent to outrage her modesty) and 509 (Word, gesture or act intended to insult the modesty of a woman) of IPC has been registered against the student.
According to sources, the college has suspended the final year student and the case has been forwarded to a committee specially formed to deal with such cases. The college has previously also seen incidents of ragging. In 2012, the college suspended two students for ragging and torturing Rishi Dutta, a first-year student of automobile engineering. He had wounds and burn marks on his body.
Himachal Pradesh has implemented strict anti-ragging laws after the Aman Kachroo case. The first year student of Rajendra Prasad Tanda Medical College in Kangra had died in March 2009 after being beaten up by four of his drunken seniors who were sentenced to four years rigorous imprisonment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed