Asaram`s Himachal Pradesh ashram under scanner
Shimla: Himachal Pradesh on Thursday began a probe into alleged land grabbing by the ashram of controversial spiritual guru Asaram Bapu in Paonta Sahib town, 185 km from here, an official said.
"We are looking into the exact land allotted and the structures raised on the land by the ashram," sub-divisional magistrate Sharvan Manta told a news agency.
Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh on Wednesday ordered a probe into the alleged land grabbing by the ashram.
He directed the local administration to quickly submit a report and remove all encroachments by ashram, official sources said.
The Chief Minister`s action came after a complaint, said an official.
The ashram has allegedly encroached a huge chunk of forest land in Kunja Madralia village in Paonta Sahib subdivision in Sirmaur district, near Uttarakhand`s Haridwar town.
Manta said the ashram has a printing press, a pharma unit and a huge hall.
Earlier, the state government took possession of the prime land in Solan district allotted to yoga guru Baba Ramdev for setting up his Patanjali Yogpeeth`s branch.
It was found that the then Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) government violated statutory provisions in allotting the land in 2010.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal