At least 11 killed in Himachal road accident
Shimla: At least 11 people were killed and nine injured when an overcrowded multi-utility vehicle skidded off the road and fell into a gorge in Himachal Pradesh`s Sirmaur district Saturday, police said.
The injured were admitted to the Civil Hospital in Paonta Sahib. Some of the injured have been referred to Chandigarh`s Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education & Research (PGIMER).
The accident took place near Timbi village near Paonta Sahib town, about 120 km from district headquarters town of Nahan, Additional Superintendent of Police Sanjeev Lakhanpal said on telephone.
He said most of the victims belonged to villages in Shillai block of Paonta Sahib subdivision.
Eyewitnesses told the police the driver was driving the vehicle rashly.
Sirmaur is among the remote areas of the state, where very few passenger buses ply on roads, leading to overcrowding of private vehicles.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured