At least 11 killed in Himachal road accident
Shimla: At least 11 people were killed and nine injured when an overcrowded multi-utility vehicle skidded off the road and fell into a gorge in Himachal Pradesh`s Sirmaur district Saturday, police said.
The injured were admitted to the Civil Hospital in Paonta Sahib. Some of the injured have been referred to Chandigarh`s Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education & Research (PGIMER).
The accident took place near Timbi village near Paonta Sahib town, about 120 km from district headquarters town of Nahan, Additional Superintendent of Police Sanjeev Lakhanpal said on telephone.
He said most of the victims belonged to villages in Shillai block of Paonta Sahib subdivision.
Eyewitnesses told the police the driver was driving the vehicle rashly.
Sirmaur is among the remote areas of the state, where very few passenger buses ply on roads, leading to overcrowding of private vehicles.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed