Beas river tragedy: Himachal govt to fence 3-km stretch along dams
Zee Media Bureau/ Deepak Nagpal
Shimla: The Himachal Pradesh government on Wednesday announced several measures to prevent the recurrence of incidents like the one happened on Monday in which 24 students from a Hyderabad engineering college were washed away by strong currents of the Beas river.
Among the measures are erecting fence along a three kilometre stretch at all dams and other such projects in the state, and installation of proper signages to warn people.
Since the Monday`s incident happened due to a sudden release of water from the Larji Dam, the state`s power department has also been given orders to be more cautious when releasing water from all dams in the future.
Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh announced the measures today after holding talks with officials of the departments of power and non-conventional energy.
The incident led to a massive outrage over the callousness of dam officials, who – according to some reports – did not even sound alarm/hooters before releasing the water.
Out of the 24 students and a tour operator who were swept away, bodies of only six students have been recovered.
The search operations in Mandi are being conducted by Army, police and Indo-Tibetan Border Police personnel. Navy divers ars also set to join the operations.
Meanwhile, the National Human Rights Commission has issued a notice to the Himachal Pradesh government in connection with the tragic incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- VIDEO: When helicopter shot came to haunt Team India and skipper MS Dhoni himself