Beas river tragedy: Himachal Pradesh Police file FIR against Larji Dam officials
Zee Media Bureau
Shimla: In the wake of death of 24 engineering students, Himachal Pradesh government on Wednesday announced that 3 kms of fencing would be done near all dams across the state.
The ill-fated students hailing from Andhra Pradesh were washed away after water from the Larji hydropower project dam was released without warning on Sunday.
Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh announced the measure to avert such incidents.
Meanwhile, Himachal Police today filed an FIR against the dam officials of Larji Hydroelectric project. The officials have been charged with culpable homicide not amounting to murder.
A massive search operation to locate the remaining 19 of the 24 students and a tour operator who went missing after strong currents of Beas river washed them away near Mandi town continued today.
Five bodies have been recovered so far.
More than 60 students and faculty members of the VNR Vignana Jyothi Institute of Engineering and Technology in Hyderabad were on an excursion to Manali.
Some of them were getting themselves photographed on the bank of the river Sunday evening when a wall of water washed them away.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites