Beas river tragedy: Telangana minister blames officials, Dhumal rues lack of signage
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: In an angry rant, the Telangana Home Minister on Monday blamed officials for the death of 24 students in the tragic accident in the Beas river in Himahcal Pradesh`s Mandi district last night.
Putting the blame on dam officials Telangana Home Minister N Narsimha Reddy said, "Without siren they shouldn`t have released water, this is tragic. We will decide future course of action."
Meanwhile former Himachal Pradesh chief minister Prem Kumar Dhumal said that the main cause of Mandi flash flood mishap was perhaps the absence of proper announcements and signboards to warn people about the prevailing danger."
"It is saddening for both Himachal as well as the rest of the country. We have lost around 25 upcoming engineers, and in Himachal when any such mishap takes place, it sends a message to other states that there are no safety measures in Himachal or there were no proper warnings at the right time. So, in future, before releasing water, there should be cars moving all over with warning announcements," added Dhumal.
Expressing grief over the incident, General Secretary of the Communist Party of India, Prakash Karat said, "It`s a very tragic incident and the fact that so much of water was released without any prior warning requires a serious enquiry, I hope the Himachal Pradesh government will enquire into this matter to find out who is guilty of this."
Earlier, flash floods washed away 24 students and a tour operator in Mandi.
The flood on River Beas has been attributed to water released from Laarji Hydropower project.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users