Beas river tragedy: Telangana minister blames officials, Dhumal rues lack of signage
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: In an angry rant, the Telangana Home Minister on Monday blamed officials for the death of 24 students in the tragic accident in the Beas river in Himahcal Pradesh`s Mandi district last night.
Putting the blame on dam officials Telangana Home Minister N Narsimha Reddy said, "Without siren they shouldn`t have released water, this is tragic. We will decide future course of action."
Meanwhile former Himachal Pradesh chief minister Prem Kumar Dhumal said that the main cause of Mandi flash flood mishap was perhaps the absence of proper announcements and signboards to warn people about the prevailing danger."
"It is saddening for both Himachal as well as the rest of the country. We have lost around 25 upcoming engineers, and in Himachal when any such mishap takes place, it sends a message to other states that there are no safety measures in Himachal or there were no proper warnings at the right time. So, in future, before releasing water, there should be cars moving all over with warning announcements," added Dhumal.
Expressing grief over the incident, General Secretary of the Communist Party of India, Prakash Karat said, "It`s a very tragic incident and the fact that so much of water was released without any prior warning requires a serious enquiry, I hope the Himachal Pradesh government will enquire into this matter to find out who is guilty of this."
Earlier, flash floods washed away 24 students and a tour operator in Mandi.
The flood on River Beas has been attributed to water released from Laarji Hydropower project.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees