Beas tragedy: Himachal HC asks for replies from state, college
Shimla: The Himachal Pradesh High Court on Monday directed the state government, the electricity board and the Hyderabad-based engineering college, whose 24 students were washed away in Beas river, to file replies on a letter written by some parents alleging tampering of evidence by the college authorites.
On a letter written by 16 parents to the court alleging negligence by the college management and a faculty member with regard to the tragedy in June this year, a division bench comprising Chief Justice Mansoor Ahmad Mir and Justice Tarlok Singh Chauhan sought the replies.
The parents also alleged the college authorities were tampering with evidence and were trying to influence the probe.
They alleged no adequate precautions for safety of the students in general and girl students, in particular, were taken and the college did not even engage a local tour guide having knowledge of geographic conditions, characteristics of rivers and local dams.
The faculty member even skipped the confirmed tour to Dr Reddy`s laboratories in Baddi and changed the original tour programme reducing the industrial tour to a merry-making trip, the letter alleged.
They further alleged the college management was influencing the students who have returned to give statements in support of the faculty and were trying to project the incident as an "act of God" and a result of irresponsible behaviour on part of the students.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested