Beas tragedy: Himachal HC asks for replies from state, college
Shimla: The Himachal Pradesh High Court on Monday directed the state government, the electricity board and the Hyderabad-based engineering college, whose 24 students were washed away in Beas river, to file replies on a letter written by some parents alleging tampering of evidence by the college authorites.
On a letter written by 16 parents to the court alleging negligence by the college management and a faculty member with regard to the tragedy in June this year, a division bench comprising Chief Justice Mansoor Ahmad Mir and Justice Tarlok Singh Chauhan sought the replies.
The parents also alleged the college authorities were tampering with evidence and were trying to influence the probe.
They alleged no adequate precautions for safety of the students in general and girl students, in particular, were taken and the college did not even engage a local tour guide having knowledge of geographic conditions, characteristics of rivers and local dams.
The faculty member even skipped the confirmed tour to Dr Reddy`s laboratories in Baddi and changed the original tour programme reducing the industrial tour to a merry-making trip, the letter alleged.
They further alleged the college management was influencing the students who have returned to give statements in support of the faculty and were trying to project the incident as an "act of God" and a result of irresponsible behaviour on part of the students.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened