Beas tragedy: No trace of 17 missing persons as rains pose hurdles
Mandi: Rescuers failed to recover the body of any of the 17 missing persons, swept away in the Beas river on June 8, on the 10th day of search on Tuesday with pre-monsoon rains posing hurdles before them.
The rescue operations resumed at the dawn, and despite using modern equipment like lidar remote sensing technology and side-scan sonar in the intensive search in the five-km stretch of Beas, no body could be traced, commanding officer of National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) Jaideep Singh said.
The rescue operations were hampered due to heavy rains in catchment areas of the Beas river yesterday, and with pre-monsoon showers lashing the region and monsoons not far away, the rescue teams have a daunting task ahead.
"The rains would bring more silt and discharge of water would be optimal during the monsoons and we are making all possible efforts to recover the bodies as early as possible," Singh added.
As many as 600 personnel of NDRF, Army, Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) and Himachal Pradesh Police, and 50 expert divers continued their search.
Twenty-four engineering students of VNR Vignana Jyothi Institute of?Engineering and Technology, Hyderabad, and a co-tour leader were washed away in the river on June 8 when Larji hydropower project authorities suddenly released water from the barrage.
So far eight bodies have been recovered.
The Himachal Pradesh High Court had also taken suo motu notice of the tragedy and directed the government to file a status report by June 16, and when the matter came up for hearing yesterday the division bench trashed the report and asked the government to file a fresh report by June 19.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?