Beas tragedy: One more body of student found, 12 still missing
Mandi: Rescuers today found the body an engineering student who was among the 25 youth who were swept away in gushing waters of the Beas river on June 8 and with this the bodies of 13 students have been recovered so far.
The swollen body surfaced today and was taken out of the river from Pandoh Dam.
"The victim was identified as B Mehan Sai Raj," said RS Negi, Superintendent of Police Mandi. 24 engineering students and a co-tour leader of Hyderabad were drowned when the Larji hydropower authorities suddenly released 450 cusecs of water from the barrage.
The bodies of eleven students including three girls and a co-tour leader are yet to be recovered. "The bodies have started surfacing and?rescue teams are hopeful that more bodies would be found in the next two three days," said Devesh Kumar, Deputy Commissioner, Mandi.
It was the 12th day of intensive search by 600 rescue men of NDRF, Army, police and ITBP, helped by 50 expert divers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray