Beas tragedy: Two more bodies recovered, 4 still untraceable
Shimla: Two more bodies of students have been recovered three weeks after 25 persons, including 24 students and a co-tour leader of a Hyderabad-based engineering college had drowned in River Beas, taking the total number of bodies fished out so far to 21, a senior police official said on Tuesday.
The bloated body of M Vishnu Vardhan Reddy from Hyderabad was recovered last evening, while the body of another victim, identified as Baswaraj Sandeep was fished out today, Deputy Commissioner (Mandi) Devesh Kumar said.
Both the bodies had remained underwater for more than three weeks and were spotted floating in Pandoh Dam, 15 km downstream Beas from the accident spot Thalot, rescuers said, adding both the bodies were badly decomposed.
With this the total number of bodies recovered so far has risen to 21 and the fate of four persons, including three students and a co-tour leaders is not known yet.
Meanwhile, the search operations for the remaining four persons continued for the 23rd day and rescue teams expressed hope that they would be recovered soon.
The students from the V N R Vignana Jyothi Institute of Engineering and Technology, were on a holiday trip to Manali, where they were swept away on the evening of June 8 when Larji hydro-power project authorities suddenly released water from the Dam allegedly without prior notification.
The Himachal Pradesh High Court had taken suo moto notice of the tragedy and awarded an interim compensation of Rs 5 lakh each to the families of the students on June 25.
A division bench of Chief Justice Mansoor Ahmad Mir and Justice Tarlok Singh Chauhan had also made it clear that a criminal probe into the matter would continue and courts would monitor its progress.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India