Beas tragedy: Two more bodies recovered, six still untraceable
Mandi: Rescuers on Thursday recovered the bodies of two more students of a Hyderabad-based engineering college who, along with their 22 other friends and a co-tour operator, were swept away in the Beas river on June 8, taking the number of bodies traced so far to 19.
The victims were identified as P Ridhima and Merudu Jagdish and their bodies were sent to their hometowns after post-mortem, Mandi Deputy Commissioner Devesh Kumar said.
Twenty-four BTech students of VNR Vignana Jyothi Institute of Engineering and Technology, Hyderabad and a co-tour leader had drowned in the Beas river on June 8 when the Larji?hydropower project authorities suddenly released water from the dam.
The bodies of five students, including?two girls, and co-tour leader Prahlad are yet to be recovered.
Rescue teams of NDRF, Police, ITBP and expert divers are searching for the remaining bodies in a 20-km stretch from Thalot to Pandoh Dam and efforts are being made to?recover all the bodies, officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Watch: PM Modi addresses rally in Moradabad, UP - Part II
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family