BJP members giving preference to Modi`s rally: Virbhadra Singh
Shimla: Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh on Monday accused the Opposition BJP of giving more preference to the rally by their prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi in the state rather than raising issues of public interest in the Assembly, as its members abstained from the debate on budget.
"It is unfortunate that the BJP members are giving preference to their prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi`s rally (in the state)," he said attacking the BJP.
As soon as the House assembled, Singh said that there was no other reason for them to abstain from the house as "the BJP members were giving more importance to Modi`s rally."
Modi is scheduled to address its first public rally at Sujanpur in Hamirpur district on February 16. The BJP members have not participated in the proceedings of the House for past six days, since the budget session commenced and disrupted the governor`s address, boycotted the budget speech, staged walk out and even disrupted the question hour.
Speaking on the budget in the absence of BJP MLAs, Congress member Asha Kumari described their action as "very very unfortunate" and said they were shying away from their responsibilities by not participating in budget discussions.
"The budget debated should be initiated by the Leader of Opposition (Prem Kumar Dhumal) and whatever has happened is not a healthy parliamentary practise," she added.
However, the state BJP president Satpal Singh Satti told reporters that "The chief minister was responsible for the stalemate.
He has been using derogatory remarks against Dhumal and has been insulting our legislators in the assembly. "This will not be tolerated and our protest will continue."
He said the remark of the chief minister that the "BJP legislators are bonded labourers" was humiliating. Denying that he ever made any remark dubbing the BJP legislators as "bonded labourers", Singh has already clarified in the Assembly but in the same breath added that his personal view was that the BJP legislators are "helpless".
Speaking on the budget, Maheshwar Singh of Himachal Lokhit Party (HLP) stressed on curtailing the unproductive expenditure and reducing the government paraphernalia which is putting undue burden on state exchequer.
Small state like Himachal can not afford surplus staff and many chairpersons and administrative officers when the posts of functional staff are not being filled.
He hailed the budget as impressive, progressive and beneficial for all sections. Social Justice and Women empowerment minister Dhani Ram Shandil also participated in the budge discussion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark