BJP says it lost in HP poll due to internal feud
Shimla: Internal feud, wrong choice of candidates and presence of strong rebels in about one and a half dozen constituencies contributed to BJP`s defeat in assembly polls in Himachal Pradesh.
This was the view that emerged at a review meeting of the state unit of BJP to analyse the causes for defeat in the recent polls.
The meeting was attended by party candidates, district and block BJP presidents and other state leaders but former chief minister PK Dhumal and party Vice President Shanta Kumar stayed away.
Candidates and leaders from districts blamed factionalism and wrong distribution of tickets for the defeat while some leaders from Kangra alleged the state leadership ignored the wokers of Kangra district and did not make any attempt to redress their grievances, which resulted in decimation of the party from ten to three seats.
The co-in-charge of the party Shyam Jaju, who briefed the media, said the reasons for the defeat are internal.
"We have not been defeated by Congress but lost because of our own reasons may be factionalism and wrong distribution of tickets, he said.
He claimed the people were with the party and supported the policies and achievements of the government but said strong rebels in about one and half dozen Constituencies scripted the defeat of the party.
Poor poll management at local level at some places also contributed to the loss, Jaju added.
The state party chief Satapal Singh Satti said that reports from each block were presented and discussed at the meeting and a comprehensive report would be placed before the core committee at its meeting next month for further action and steps to strengthen the party.
He said the candidates, both elected and defeated, gave their views citing reasons that worked in their favour and against and free and frank discussions were held.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof