BJP seeks Congress` reply into Swamy`s allegations
Shimla: Raising the political fever in the poll-bound Himachal Pradesh, BJP on Friday made a blistering attack on Congress and demanded a clarification from it regarding the allegations of fraud leveled by Janata Party chief Subramanian Swamy against party president Sonia Gandhi and her son Rahul Gandhi.
Addressing a press conference in the state’s capital, senior BJP leader Arun Jaitley said that the Congress leadership must issue an explanation over the issue.
Jaitley said alleged Congress was violating provisions of Representation of People`s Act. The Leader of Opposition in Rajya Sabha also highlighted the Associated Journals board document produced by Swamy, which says that AICC gave them an unsecured loan of Rs 90 crores.
Jaitley termed it "grossest impropriety besides being a gross illegality.”
"The country expects a fair answer from Congress on Swamy`s allegations." Jaitley said.
"This would be the first case in India that a political party (Congress) is using its resources for a commercial purpose," he added.
Earlier on Thursday, Swamy in a press conference had said that Sonia and Rahul had floated a Section 25 company called `Young Indian` each with a share holding of 38 per cent, which acquired Associated Journals, founded by late Jawaharlal Nehru, that published the National Herald and Quami Awaz.
Swamy said Associated Journals obtained an unsecured loan of over Rs 90 crore from AICC which he claimed was illegal under Income Tax Act because a political party cannot give loans for commercial purposes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read