BJP slams HP govt for hike in power tariff
Shimla: State unit of BJP has criticised the government for steep hike in power tariff, saying it has burdened 18 lakh domestic consumers with over Rs 500 crore.
"For the first time, power tariff has been hiked by 70 paise per unit and even domestic consumers have not been spared," party spokesman Ganesh Dutt said.
He accused the State Electricity Regulatory Commission (SERC) of unilaterally announcing the tariff order without inviting objections or suggestions from the people.
Dutt said the tariff for domestic consumers has been increased from Rs 3.69 per unit to Rs 4.28 per unit, for industrial consumers, it has been hiked from Rs 4.76 per unit to Rs 5.50 per unit while commercial consumers would have to pay Rs 5.95 per unit instead of Rs 5.25 per unit at present which was a huge burden on consumers.
However, he did not take into account the subsidy announced by the government.
Dutt claimed that the Congress government had failed to give any relief to people during its four months rule and hike in power tariff was "first gift of the government to the people".
He also alleged that the government was purchasing costly luxury cars when existing cars were in good condition, and asked it to refrain from indulging in "wasteful and avoidable" expenditure.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!