BJP stages walkout in Assembly over denotification of colleges
Shimla: Opposition BJP in Himachal Pradesh on Thursday walked out from the Assembly protesting Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh`s refusal to open eight colleges denotified after the change of government.
Immediately after the reply of the Chief Minister on discussion on demand for grants for the Education department, BJP members, expressed dissatisfaction over his statement and insisted upon opening of colleges denotified by the Congress government.
When the Chief Minister said he has replied to all the issues raised by the Opposition, BJP members refused to relent and walked out from the House.
Speaker BBL Butail put the cut motions to vote after the walk out and the same were rejected by voice vote.
Parliamentary Affairs minister Mukesh Agnihotri, criticised the BJP for staging a walkout and said that there was no justification of walkout after the reply of the Chief Minister.
Earlier, replying to the discussion, Singh said the colleges were notified by the previous BJP government without making any provision for building, staff and other infrastructure.
"The colleges were opened to accomplish mission repeat of the BJP without making any budgetary provisions....I am not opposed to opening of these colleges and feel that the demand of the members may be genuine but the previous government should have made budgetary provisions for making these colleges function," the CM said.
He said "the government would like to open these colleges as and when finances are available."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez