Bombay HC`s Diwali gift to BMC employees
Mumbai: In a good news on Diwali for
around 40,000 employees of Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation
(BMC) affiliated to Municipal Mazdoor Union (MMU), they will
be getting ex-gratia bonus of Rs 7,500.
The Bombay High Court today directed the civic body to
pay the amount to these employees by November 1.
A Division Bench of Justices S J Kathwala and A M
Thipsay gave the direction while hearing an appeal filed by
MMU challenging the order of a single HC Judge upholding the
BMC`s decision not to pay ex-gratia to those employees who
participated in a two-day strike last month.
The civic body had issued a circular on October 15
stating the employees who went on a strike on September 19-20
will not be eligible for ex-gratia for the fiscal 2010-11.
"Do not make this an ego issue. Let them celebrate the
festival. You (BMC) can release Rs 7,500 by Tuesday (Nov 1)
and if the single Judge passes an order in your favour then
the amount can be deducted from the salaries of the
employees," the court said.
The court directed the single Judge to conclude the
matter on November 9 and pass its order by November 14.
"If the order goes in the corporation`s favour then Rs
7,500 can be deducted from the employees` salaries for the
month of December," Justice Kathwala observed.
Soon after the circular was issued, MMU had approached
the industrial court, which directed BMC to pay the ex-gratia
amount to all employees. The corporation had challenged this
order before the single HC Judge, who upheld BMC decision.
Members of the union led by NCP leader Sharad Rao had
gone on strike to demand salaries on the lines of the Sixth
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- BJP made Dayashankar Singh use foul language against me; SP also involved in conspiracy, alleges Mayawati
- New compound may help fight epilepsy
- 'Jethalal' promotes Varun Dhawan starrer 'Dishoom' by flaunting his unique swag! Watch video
- BIZARRE! Panchayat slaps Rs 5 lakh fine on Haryana school after Eid celebration
- Twinkle Khanna slams Naseeruddin Shah online! - Know why