Bombay HC`s Diwali gift to BMC employees
Mumbai: In a good news on Diwali for
around 40,000 employees of Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation
(BMC) affiliated to Municipal Mazdoor Union (MMU), they will
be getting ex-gratia bonus of Rs 7,500.
The Bombay High Court today directed the civic body to
pay the amount to these employees by November 1.
A Division Bench of Justices S J Kathwala and A M
Thipsay gave the direction while hearing an appeal filed by
MMU challenging the order of a single HC Judge upholding the
BMC`s decision not to pay ex-gratia to those employees who
participated in a two-day strike last month.
The civic body had issued a circular on October 15
stating the employees who went on a strike on September 19-20
will not be eligible for ex-gratia for the fiscal 2010-11.
"Do not make this an ego issue. Let them celebrate the
festival. You (BMC) can release Rs 7,500 by Tuesday (Nov 1)
and if the single Judge passes an order in your favour then
the amount can be deducted from the salaries of the
employees," the court said.
The court directed the single Judge to conclude the
matter on November 9 and pass its order by November 14.
"If the order goes in the corporation`s favour then Rs
7,500 can be deducted from the employees` salaries for the
month of December," Justice Kathwala observed.
Soon after the circular was issued, MMU had approached
the industrial court, which directed BMC to pay the ex-gratia
amount to all employees. The corporation had challenged this
order before the single HC Judge, who upheld BMC decision.
Members of the union led by NCP leader Sharad Rao had
gone on strike to demand salaries on the lines of the Sixth
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars