Bridge on national highway in Himachal washed away
Shimla: A bridge on Hindustan-Tibet national highway providing vital link to Pooh, Chango and Kaza tribal areas was washed away while several houses were damaged in landslides and some vehicles were swept away in flash floods as monsoons wreaked havoc in Himachal Pradesh since yesterday.
Heavy rains washed away the bridge at Ribba, 30km from Rekong Peo, headquarters to tribal district of Kinnaur, while a tractor and tipper were swept away in flash floods at Kanan near Spillow and major hydropower projects, including Nathpa-Jhakri(1500 Mw), Karcham-Wangtoo (1000 MW), Baspa (300 MW), Bhaba (120 Mw) and Chamera-I and Chamera ?II (600 MW), remained shut for the third day today as silt level was much above the permissible limits.
About half a dozen houses were threatened and declared unsafe in Totu area of Shimla while three houses had already collapsed in the past two days.
A 30-feet wide breach in Chhurdu village in Khundian Tehsil in Kangra district endangered the entire village and 70 affected people were shifted.
Pathankot-Jogindernagar railway line was blocked at some places due to landslips and train services on this route has been suspended.
While traffic on Major highways was not affected, the
landslides triggered by heavy rains blocked roads in the interior areas at several places and at least 70 routes were affected.
The rains caused damage to houses and crops at some places in Kullu, Kangra, Mandi and Hamirpur districts and Foot Bridge and cowsheds were also hit.
Heavy rains lashed most parts of Himachal as the monsoon remained vigorous and maximum day temperatures dropped by three to five degrees.
The minimum temperatures also dropped by a few notches and Kalpa and Keylong were the coldest at night with a low of 13 degree and 13.5 degree respectively.
The local MeT office has warned of heavy to very heavy rains at some places in lower and mid hills and rains and thunderstorm at most places in the state in the next 48 hours.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing