British man among three mountaineers killed in landslide in Himachal
Manali (Himachal Pradesh): Three mountaineers including a British national have been killed in a landslide here.
The tragedy occurred last night in an area beyond Beas Kund when a 10-member mountaineering team from Britain along with a group of Indians was returning after scaling the Shitidhar Peak.
British national Allenstater, an official of a Delhi- based company Wilderness Experience that was conducting the expedition and Rohit from Palampur were killed in the landslide, Deputy Commissioner, Kullu, Rakesh Kanwar said.
Rescue teams from Mountaineering Institute, Manali were rushed to the spot, located at six-hour trekking distance from road, and bodies of Allenstater and the company official have been recovered while the body of Rohit was yet to be traced.
“However, the nine members of the British expedition and others accompanying them were safe and one their way back to Manali,” he added.
The place is not connected by road and there is no mobile phone network. More details about the incident would be known after the rescue teams and other members of British team return, Kanwar said.
The area is in the grip of severe cold wave and mercury is hovering around freezing point after moderate snowfall in higher reaches in tribal areas.
Manali is about 250 kms from Himachal Pradesh capital Shimla.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC
- Seven Pak rangers, one militant killed in retaliatory firing by BSF on Jammu border
- LIVE Cricket Score, IND vs NZ, 3rd ODI: Chasing 286-run target, India lose Rahane and Rohit early
- Samajwadi Party feud LIVE: Mulayam sacks Ram Gopal Yadav from party for six years; Shivpal says he is corrupt, involved with BJP