Bus falls in gorge 8 killed, 7 feared dead in HP
Shimla: A bus carrying a troupe of folk dancers from Leh in Jammu and Kashmir plunged into a deep gorge killing eight persons, while seven others are feared dead near Gamoor, 20 km from here, police reported on Sunday.
More than seven individuals got injured as the 22-member troupe was on its way from Leh to Keylong in Lahaul and Spiti district of Himachal Pradesh to participate in a three-day tribal fair beginning Sunday, when the bus met with the accident late last night, they said.
"Seven persons were rescued, while eight bodies have been recovered", Vimal Gupta, SP, Lahaul and Spiti, told a new agency over phone. The death toll could be more as seven persons were suspected to be trapped at the spot which is "too deep and dangerous", he added.
"We used long ropes to enable the rescue teams to reach the exact location. Inclement weather with piercing cold winds following snowfall in the Valley made the rescue work very difficult but teams succeeded in reaching the spot and extricate the bodies from the wreckage of the bus," the SP said.
Twenty-two members of the troupe were travelling in the bus and chances of survival of the missing persons are very remote, he said, adding, that the seven people rescued sustained injuries and were rushed to a hospital at Keylong.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez