Bus falls in gorge 8 killed, 7 feared dead in HP
Shimla: A bus carrying a troupe of folk dancers from Leh in Jammu and Kashmir plunged into a deep gorge killing eight persons, while seven others are feared dead near Gamoor, 20 km from here, police reported on Sunday.
More than seven individuals got injured as the 22-member troupe was on its way from Leh to Keylong in Lahaul and Spiti district of Himachal Pradesh to participate in a three-day tribal fair beginning Sunday, when the bus met with the accident late last night, they said.
"Seven persons were rescued, while eight bodies have been recovered", Vimal Gupta, SP, Lahaul and Spiti, told a new agency over phone. The death toll could be more as seven persons were suspected to be trapped at the spot which is "too deep and dangerous", he added.
"We used long ropes to enable the rescue teams to reach the exact location. Inclement weather with piercing cold winds following snowfall in the Valley made the rescue work very difficult but teams succeeded in reaching the spot and extricate the bodies from the wreckage of the bus," the SP said.
Twenty-two members of the troupe were travelling in the bus and chances of survival of the missing persons are very remote, he said, adding, that the seven people rescued sustained injuries and were rushed to a hospital at Keylong.
- Kangana Ranaut – Hrithik Roshan legal spat: Sona Mohapatra slams Adhyayan Suman - Here's why
- Kangana Ranaut's deposition after lot of delay, drama, says Hrithik Roshan's legal team
- WATCH: Ugly spat between Harbhajan Singh, Ambati Rayudu during Mumbai Indians vs Rising Pune Supergiants match
- Congress may project Priyanka Gandhi or Rahul Gandhi as its CM candidate for UP polls 2017
- ISKCON pins hopes on PM Narendra Modi for Krishna temple in Moscow