Bus falls in gorge in Shimla, at least 20 killed
Shimla: At least 20 passengers were killed when a state roadways bus rolled down a hill and fell into a gorge Tuesday in Himachal Pradesh`s Shimla district, police said.
Rescue operations are on and the toll could rise, said officials.
The bus was on way from Shimla to Savera Khad in Sunni area of the district when the accident occurred near Kadhar Ghat in Basantpur area, around 40 km from here.
Superintendent of Police D.W. Negi told IANS that the bus fell into a 400 m deep gorge. He said the cause of the accident is yet to be ascertained.
Locals said the accident spot has been experiencing continuous rainfall for the past many days, making the road slippery.
The injured have been taken to the Indira Gandhi Medical College and Hospital in Shimla.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- 14-year-old pregnant rape survivor allowed abortion by Supreme Court
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!