Centuries old `tilted` temple restored by INTACH
Shimla: A nearly 400-year-old temple near Kangra in Himachal Pradesh, which was standing tilted for more than 100 years after it was damaged in an earthquake, was rebuilt by the Indian National Trust for Art and Cultural Heritage (INTACH).
"The temple of local deity Bhadrakali was restored with
the help of the state government, which provided Rs 7 lakh for
the reconstruction project," INTACH Himachal chapter president
Malvika Pathania said.
The original architecture of the temple was unique as it
got tilted on its foundation after the earthquake in Kangra
and had been standing in this position for over 100 years
without any major damage, she said.
The restoration work was done on the advice of a Uttar
Pradesh-based geologist, who is considered to be an expert in
restoration of old buildings, she said.
Malvika said the temple was built in Shikhar style of old
Hindu temple architecture and resembled that of centuries-old
temples located in Chamba district.
Encouraged by its success in restoring a temple to its
original glory with minimum financial resources, INTACH is now
planning to submit a project to the state government for the
restoration of ancient temples submerged in Gobind Sagar and
Maharana Pratap Sagar in Pong Dam, she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- NASA’s SDO captures bursts of solar material from the Sun- Watch
- Watch: Videos show German-Iranian gunman going on rampage in Munich
- Heavy rain in China kills at least 24, millions evacuated
- Defence Minister Parrikar leaves for Chennai to monitor ops of missing IAF AN 32
- Pakistan has been crying for Kashmir ever since independence: NPP