Chinese spies’ arrest: Himachal CM flays Centre
Shimla: A day after eight suspected Chinese spies were arrested from Chauntra village in Himachal Pradesh’s Mandi district, the state government on Wednesday blamed the Centre for failing to have taken the matter seriously.
Speaking to Zee News, Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Prem Kumar Dhumal said that his government had warned the Centre many times on suspicious activities of the Chinese in the state but no action had been taken.
Dhumal further described the matter as “very serious”.
The eight Chinese nationals, along with two Indians, were arrested on charges of visa violation after police raided their fortified house-cum-monastery in Chauntra.
The raiding police teams last night also recovered Indian currency worth Rs 30 lakh, USD 3,000 and some other foreign currencies in cash and mobile phones suspected to have Chinese SIM cards and international ATM cards from them.
The raids, which were carried out following intelligence inputs by central intelligence agencies, continued till past midnight.
The arrested persons were being interrogated by the police and intelligence agencies and nothing could be said till their interrogation was completed, Additional Director General of Police SR Mardi said.
The arrest of Chinese nationals comes in the backdrop of reports of renewed threat to the life of Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai Lama and another Tibetan guru, Karmapa Oxygen Trinley Dorje.
The arrested Chinese nationals have been living in the house, protected by a 15-foot high wall, for quite some time and some of them were reportedly working as masons.
The police was investigating as to how these Chinese nationals managed to come together in a remote village like Chauntra.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert