Cloudburst in Himachal`s remote valley
Keylong: A cloudburst in Himachal Pradesh`s Lahaul-Spiti district has resulted in more than 100 livestock, a bridge and a 150-metre stretch of road being washed away. No loss of human life has been reported.
The cloudburst occurred in Changut village of the Miyar Valley, some 55 km from here, Thursday night, Deputy Commissioner B.S. Thakur said.
"The flash floods have washed away huge chunks of agricultural land and the road," he added.
Legislator Ravi Thakur said several villages in the valley have been cut off as road links have been disrupted.
He said pea growers were worst affected as their crop couldn`t be transported.
"We have sought immediate relief of Rs.5 crore from the state government for restoration works and giving compensation to the affected families," Thakur added.
The picturesque Miyar Valley is known for growing peas and potatoes.
The climatic condition of the entire Lahaul and Spiti district, dominated mainly by tribals, is harsh as much of the land falls under a cold desert where the temperature plummets to as low as minus 25 degrees Celsius in winter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter
- WATCH: Chris Gayle hits Saeed Ajmal with three huge back-to-back sixes in PSL