CM administers green pledge to public
Shimla: Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Prem Kumar Dhumal, on the occasion of the World Environment Day Tuesday, administered a pledge to the people of the state to protect the environment.
Through advertisements in newspapers, Dhumal has appealed to the people to follow a nine-point code in their day-to-day life to conserve and protect nature.
The pledge aims to protect trees and wildlife, avoid use of non-biodegradable disposable items, preserve water, and conserve energy by switching off lights and other appliances when not in use.
To develop green habits among school children, the state government in May 2010 started the practice of administering a pledge to protect the environment during the morning prayer session in all government and private schools.
Himachal Pradesh is most vulnerable to climate change as the Himalayan glaciers have been retreating due to global warming.
The total geographical area of the hill state is 55,673 sq km, out of which 66.5 percent, that is 37,033 sq km, is classified as forest region.
The state is one of the storehouses of biodiversity in the country. Of the 45,000 species of flora species found in the country, 3,295 species are found in the Himachal Pradesh. It is the largest supplier of chilgoza pinenut, kuth medicinal plant, dioscorea wild yam, dhoop incense, picrorrhiza, valeriana and ephedra in the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing