Cold wave intensifies in HP, Shimla experiences coldest night
Shimla: Himachal Pradesh capital Shimla experienced the coldest night of the season as mercury dipped to 5.8 degree Celsius and high altitude tribal areas received another spell of fresh snowfall.
The minimum temperature dropped by a few notches across the state and Keylong in Lahaul and Spiti district was coldest in the region with a low of minus 5.1 degree while high altitude tribal areas reeled under piercing cold wave conditions with mercury ranging between minus seven and minus 12 degree C.
The minimum temperatures hovered around freezing point at Kalpa and Manali while it dipped to 2.3 degree at Bhuntar and Sundernagar and 3.4 degree at Solan and Chamba, two degree below normal.
Una in Shivalik foothills recorded the minimum temperature at 4.8 degree, followed by Palampur 5.5 degree, Dharamshala 6.8 degree and Nahan 7.8 degree respectively.
All natural sources of water like lakes, springs, rivulets and tributaries of major rivers and 70-Km stretch of Chadrabhaga river were frozen due to intense cold wave conditions.
The discharge of water has reduced drastically in snow-fed rivers, affecting hydropower generation.
There was no significant change in maximum temperatures and it was a clear day in most parts of the region.
The local MeT office has predicted dry weather in the region over the next three days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why