Cold wave intensifies in HP, Shimla experiences coldest night
Shimla: Himachal Pradesh capital Shimla experienced the coldest night of the season as mercury dipped to 5.8 degree Celsius and high altitude tribal areas received another spell of fresh snowfall.
The minimum temperature dropped by a few notches across the state and Keylong in Lahaul and Spiti district was coldest in the region with a low of minus 5.1 degree while high altitude tribal areas reeled under piercing cold wave conditions with mercury ranging between minus seven and minus 12 degree C.
The minimum temperatures hovered around freezing point at Kalpa and Manali while it dipped to 2.3 degree at Bhuntar and Sundernagar and 3.4 degree at Solan and Chamba, two degree below normal.
Una in Shivalik foothills recorded the minimum temperature at 4.8 degree, followed by Palampur 5.5 degree, Dharamshala 6.8 degree and Nahan 7.8 degree respectively.
All natural sources of water like lakes, springs, rivulets and tributaries of major rivers and 70-Km stretch of Chadrabhaga river were frozen due to intense cold wave conditions.
The discharge of water has reduced drastically in snow-fed rivers, affecting hydropower generation.
There was no significant change in maximum temperatures and it was a clear day in most parts of the region.
The local MeT office has predicted dry weather in the region over the next three days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Cow vigilantism? Two Dalits thrashed in Gujarat for refusing to clear carcass of calf
- 'Arvind Kejriwal fooling people of Goa by making tall promises'
- Kashmir like volcano about to erupt, says AK Antony
- Union Minister Prakash Javadekar clarifies on Nehru, Patel gaffe - Here's what he said
- Agartala: 17 injured in clashes between IPFT supporters, locals