Cold wave intensifies in HP, Shimla experiences coldest night
Shimla: Himachal Pradesh capital Shimla experienced the coldest night of the season as mercury dipped to 5.8 degree Celsius and high altitude tribal areas received another spell of fresh snowfall.
The minimum temperature dropped by a few notches across the state and Keylong in Lahaul and Spiti district was coldest in the region with a low of minus 5.1 degree while high altitude tribal areas reeled under piercing cold wave conditions with mercury ranging between minus seven and minus 12 degree C.
The minimum temperatures hovered around freezing point at Kalpa and Manali while it dipped to 2.3 degree at Bhuntar and Sundernagar and 3.4 degree at Solan and Chamba, two degree below normal.
Una in Shivalik foothills recorded the minimum temperature at 4.8 degree, followed by Palampur 5.5 degree, Dharamshala 6.8 degree and Nahan 7.8 degree respectively.
All natural sources of water like lakes, springs, rivulets and tributaries of major rivers and 70-Km stretch of Chadrabhaga river were frozen due to intense cold wave conditions.
The discharge of water has reduced drastically in snow-fed rivers, affecting hydropower generation.
There was no significant change in maximum temperatures and it was a clear day in most parts of the region.
The local MeT office has predicted dry weather in the region over the next three days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read