Cold wave sweeps Himachal Pradesh
Shimla: A cold wave swept Himachal Pradesh on Thursday, with its higher reaches freezing in sub-zero temperatures.
Keylong, headquarters of Lahaul and Spiti, was the coldest with a minimum temperature of minus 5.1 degrees Celsius. It also saw 9 cm snow in the past 24 hours.
Kalpa in Kinnaur district touched a low of minus 3 degrees Celsius, while it was the freezing point in Manali, 0.7 degrees in Shimla and 5.6 degrees in Dharamsala, an official of the meteorological office here told a news agency.
The Rohtang Pass (13,050 ft) and the Baralacha Pass (16,020 ft) - located on the Manali-Leh highway - received heavy snowfall.
The resort town of Kalpa, some 250 km from the state capital, recorded 15 cm snow, while Manali experienced 20.2 mm rain.
The entire tribal belt in Kinnaur, Lahaul and Spiti, Kullu, Sirmaur and Chamba districts witnessed heavy snowfall in the past two days, he said.
He said the western disturbances - storm systems originating from Caspian Sea and moving across the Afghanistan-Pakistan region - are likely to remain active in the region on January 10.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day