Cold wave sweeps Himachal Pradesh
Shimla: A cold wave swept Himachal Pradesh on Thursday, with its higher reaches freezing in sub-zero temperatures.
Keylong, headquarters of Lahaul and Spiti, was the coldest with a minimum temperature of minus 5.1 degrees Celsius. It also saw 9 cm snow in the past 24 hours.
Kalpa in Kinnaur district touched a low of minus 3 degrees Celsius, while it was the freezing point in Manali, 0.7 degrees in Shimla and 5.6 degrees in Dharamsala, an official of the meteorological office here told a news agency.
The Rohtang Pass (13,050 ft) and the Baralacha Pass (16,020 ft) - located on the Manali-Leh highway - received heavy snowfall.
The resort town of Kalpa, some 250 km from the state capital, recorded 15 cm snow, while Manali experienced 20.2 mm rain.
The entire tribal belt in Kinnaur, Lahaul and Spiti, Kullu, Sirmaur and Chamba districts witnessed heavy snowfall in the past two days, he said.
He said the western disturbances - storm systems originating from Caspian Sea and moving across the Afghanistan-Pakistan region - are likely to remain active in the region on January 10.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you