Cold wave sweeps Himachal Pradesh
Shimla: A cold wave swept Himachal Pradesh on Thursday, with its higher reaches freezing in sub-zero temperatures.
Keylong, headquarters of Lahaul and Spiti, was the coldest with a minimum temperature of minus 5.1 degrees Celsius. It also saw 9 cm snow in the past 24 hours.
Kalpa in Kinnaur district touched a low of minus 3 degrees Celsius, while it was the freezing point in Manali, 0.7 degrees in Shimla and 5.6 degrees in Dharamsala, an official of the meteorological office here told a news agency.
The Rohtang Pass (13,050 ft) and the Baralacha Pass (16,020 ft) - located on the Manali-Leh highway - received heavy snowfall.
The resort town of Kalpa, some 250 km from the state capital, recorded 15 cm snow, while Manali experienced 20.2 mm rain.
The entire tribal belt in Kinnaur, Lahaul and Spiti, Kullu, Sirmaur and Chamba districts witnessed heavy snowfall in the past two days, he said.
He said the western disturbances - storm systems originating from Caspian Sea and moving across the Afghanistan-Pakistan region - are likely to remain active in the region on January 10.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Aamir Khan's '3 Idiots' sequel on the cards? Here's what Rajkumar Hirani has to say!
- 'Nirbhaya' gang-rape: Convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail, admitted to hospital
- Iranian Navy in `unsafe` intercept of US destroyer: Defense official
- PM Narendra Modi condemns attack on Kabul`s American University
- Italy earthquake kills 159 as rescuers race to find survivors