College student dies due to alleged ragging in Himachal, 2 students booked
Hamirpur (HP): A college student was found hanging from the ceiling of his hostel room and his father alleged that his son was ragged and forced to commit suicide, police said on Saturday.
Amit Kumar (18), a first-year student of a local private college, was found dead in the room on Thursday and Hamirpur police today registered a case under sections 306 (abetment to sucide) of IPC and under the Himachal Pradesh Educational Institutions (Anti Ragging) Act, 2009 against the management of the college and two of its students in connection with the incident.
Chand, father of the deceased, charged his son was tortured by the two students of the same college and compelled him to commit suicide.
He alleged his deceased son had made a complaint to the Principal of the college about harassment by these students but he failed to take any action.
"Had the management of the college taken timely steps, the precious life of his son would have been saved", he added.
Hamirpur SP Ajay Bodh said the police had registered a case but none of the students or the management of the college named in the complaint have been arrested?so for.
Meanwhile, resentment prevailed in the college and among parents of the deceased over the incident and they have demanded stringent action against the erring boys and the management of the college.
About six years ago, a medical student Aman Kachroo of Government Medical college, Tanda (Kangra), died due to ragging in 2008 and four senior medicos were convicted and sentenced to four years imprisonment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok