Committee submits report on sinking Ridge in Shimla
Shimla: A technical committee appointed to
suggest steps to prevent further sinking of the north side of
the historic Ridge here has recommended that empty bitumen
drums filled with soil be used as protective cover to
stabilise the slopes.
About 50 metre stretch of the Ridge between Scandal Point
and Lakkar Bazar had sunk by six to seven feet, endangering
several houses, trees and power transmission lines. The public
toilets located in the sinking zone had been closed.
However, senior geologist of Geological Survey of India,
Chandigarh who was called to inspect the sinking portion and
suggest measures, did not give any report as he wanted to
consult the data already available with GSI.
The four-member committee appointed by the Commissioner,
Shimla Municipal Corporation, also suggested that wire crates
filed with boulder may be provided to protect the Padam Dev
complex and to stall further collapse of retaining wall.
The GSI, Chandigarh has not given their recommendation
as it felt that long term measures should be taken while the
GSI wing of the state Industries department has only given the
geo-technical details of the soil strata and suggested no
The report of the committee is likely to be discussed
in a meeting of the corporation tomorrow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof