Cong declares Mayoral candidate for Shimla civic polls
Shimla: Congress on Saturday declared its candidates for the posts of Mayor and Deputy Mayor of Shimla Municipal Corporation (SMC) renominating Madhu Sood for the post of top civic body post and fielding Devinder Chauhan for the other.
Congress also released a list of 25 candidates while the state`s ruling BJP is yet to announce the candidates for the posts of Mayor and Deputy Mayor elections for which would be held by direct vote for the first time.
Fifty per cent seats (13 out of 25) have been reserved for women.
The list of the candidates was released after a meeting of senior state leaders, including Union Minister VB Singh, leader of the opposition Vidya Stokes and HPCC president Kaul Singh Thakur, and there were no differences among the leaders, Kaul Singh said while releasing the list.
VB Singh sprang a surprise at the very outset of the meeting by announcing that Deputy Mayor Harish Janartha, considered to be his protege was not a candidate for the post of Mayor and the name of sitting Mayor Madhu Sood was pushed through.
BJP announced a list of fifteen candidates while CPI(M), which declared its candidates for the post of Mayor and Deputy Mayor more than a month ago, today released its second and final list of candidates.
The SMC was in control of Congress ever since the first elections to the only Municipal Corporation in the state was held in 1986. It won all the subsequent elections held in 1992, 1997, 2002 and 2007.
Menahile, filing of nominations for elections to SMC slated for May 27 started today and six candidates submitted their papers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'