Cong `misused` official machinery to win Mandi LS by-poll: BJP
Shimla: The BJP which lost the Mandi Lok Sabha by-election by a massive margin of over 1.36 lakh votes on Wednesday accused the ruling Congress of "blatantly misusing" the official machinery and money power to win the by-poll.
A meeting of state office bearers of BJI held here today to discuss the causes of defeat alleged that Congress set a bad precedent by throwing all democratic norms to winds which did not augur well for future politics of the state.
"The Congress resorted to allurements, intimidation and brazen use of money power and official machinery which was condemnable," a resolution adopted at the meeting said.
However, in spite of blatant use of power and money, the Congress could not increase its vote bank, the resolution said and urged the BJP workers to take lesson from the by-election and make serious and coordinated efforts to win all four Lok Sabha seats in the next elections.
The meeting also expressed shock and grief at colossal loss of life and property in recent floods and rains in Uttarakhand and Himachal and appreciated the role of Army and other agencies involved in relief and rescue operations.
The meeting condoled the death of people who lost their lives in natural calamities.
BJP leader Prem Kumar Dhumal said Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh flouted democratic norms and traditions to ensure victory of his wife Pratibha Singh but the BJP workers campaigned even at risk to their lives.
He said BJP has to be strengthened at every polling booth to win the next Lok Sabha polls and expressed confidence that the party workers would do their best to avenge the defeat.
The meeting also discussed the programmes in connection with birth anniversary of Shyama Prasad Mukerjee and relief for flood victims and decided to hold next meeting of state executive of the party at Palampur from July 26 to 28.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH