Cong `misused` official machinery to win Mandi LS by-poll: BJP
Shimla: The BJP which lost the Mandi Lok Sabha by-election by a massive margin of over 1.36 lakh votes on Wednesday accused the ruling Congress of "blatantly misusing" the official machinery and money power to win the by-poll.
A meeting of state office bearers of BJI held here today to discuss the causes of defeat alleged that Congress set a bad precedent by throwing all democratic norms to winds which did not augur well for future politics of the state.
"The Congress resorted to allurements, intimidation and brazen use of money power and official machinery which was condemnable," a resolution adopted at the meeting said.
However, in spite of blatant use of power and money, the Congress could not increase its vote bank, the resolution said and urged the BJP workers to take lesson from the by-election and make serious and coordinated efforts to win all four Lok Sabha seats in the next elections.
The meeting also expressed shock and grief at colossal loss of life and property in recent floods and rains in Uttarakhand and Himachal and appreciated the role of Army and other agencies involved in relief and rescue operations.
The meeting condoled the death of people who lost their lives in natural calamities.
BJP leader Prem Kumar Dhumal said Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh flouted democratic norms and traditions to ensure victory of his wife Pratibha Singh but the BJP workers campaigned even at risk to their lives.
He said BJP has to be strengthened at every polling booth to win the next Lok Sabha polls and expressed confidence that the party workers would do their best to avenge the defeat.
The meeting also discussed the programmes in connection with birth anniversary of Shyama Prasad Mukerjee and relief for flood victims and decided to hold next meeting of state executive of the party at Palampur from July 26 to 28.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional