Cong working on a "please-all" formula to unite Himachal unit
New Delhi: Congress is working on a `please-all` formula to placate all sections of the party`s faction-ridden unit in Himachal Pradesh while giving his `due` to sulking leader Virbhadra Singh ahead of assembly elections in the state.
There is a clear realization in the party that annyoying the five-time Chief Minister will be detrimental to its electoral prospects in the state.
However, the party also does not like to be seen as compromising on discipline and succumbing to pressure tactics.
Virbhadra and HPCC president Kaul Singh Thakur are at daggers drawn over distribution of tickets in the upcoming elections and both the leaders have met party chief Sonia Gandhi this week.
79-year old leader Singh, who quit as Union Minister recently following an adverse verdict by a Himachal Pradesh court in a corruption case against him, has been seeking maximum nominations for his supporters in the elections.
After a buzz in political circles that the sulking leader was in touch with NCP, there are indications that Congress has reached a compromise with Singh by agreeing to appoint Virbhadra`s close associate Gangu Ram Musafir as Working President of Himachal Pradesh Congress. However, there was no official word.
In an apparent bid to put pressure on the party`s central
leaders, Virbhadra had called his loyalists to Delhi on Tuesday, a day after he skipped a Mahila Sammelan of state Congress.
Singh has been sulking following appointment of Union Commerce Minister Anand Sharma as Chairman of the party manifesto committee in which he has been made a member and more recently naming of Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit as head of screening committee to shortlist candidates for the polls due by the end of this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Gael Monfils to face Ivo Karlovic in Washington Open final
- Olympics 2016: IOC faces historic call on Russia Rio ban
- Kashmir unrest over Burhan Wani's killing: Curfew lifted from these four districts - FULL DETAILS
- Salman Khan plans a special birthday party for alleged girlfriend Iulia Vantur? - Know more
- Major water crisis in Chandigarh, Mohali and Panchkula - Know reason behind it