Cong working on a "please-all" formula to unite Himachal unit
New Delhi: Congress is working on a `please-all` formula to placate all sections of the party`s faction-ridden unit in Himachal Pradesh while giving his `due` to sulking leader Virbhadra Singh ahead of assembly elections in the state.
There is a clear realization in the party that annyoying the five-time Chief Minister will be detrimental to its electoral prospects in the state.
However, the party also does not like to be seen as compromising on discipline and succumbing to pressure tactics.
Virbhadra and HPCC president Kaul Singh Thakur are at daggers drawn over distribution of tickets in the upcoming elections and both the leaders have met party chief Sonia Gandhi this week.
79-year old leader Singh, who quit as Union Minister recently following an adverse verdict by a Himachal Pradesh court in a corruption case against him, has been seeking maximum nominations for his supporters in the elections.
After a buzz in political circles that the sulking leader was in touch with NCP, there are indications that Congress has reached a compromise with Singh by agreeing to appoint Virbhadra`s close associate Gangu Ram Musafir as Working President of Himachal Pradesh Congress. However, there was no official word.
In an apparent bid to put pressure on the party`s central
leaders, Virbhadra had called his loyalists to Delhi on Tuesday, a day after he skipped a Mahila Sammelan of state Congress.
Singh has been sulking following appointment of Union Commerce Minister Anand Sharma as Chairman of the party manifesto committee in which he has been made a member and more recently naming of Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit as head of screening committee to shortlist candidates for the polls due by the end of this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez