Congress candidate Pratibha Singh wins Mandi Lok Sabha bypoll
Shimla: Congress candidate Pratibha Singh on Sunday won the Mandi Lok Sabha by-election, defeating her nearest BJP rival Jai Ram Thakur by a massive margin of over 1.36 lakh votes.
The polling was held in sixteen Assembly segments on June 23, while the exercise was held in rain-hit Kinnaur tribal segment on June 27. Repoll in one booth was held yesterday.
As many as 5,82,081 voters out of 11,13,938 voters cast their votes of which Pratibha Singh, wife of Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh, polled 60.67 per cent votes while Jai Ram Thakur got 37.24 per cent votes.
Pratibha had won this seat in 2004 also by a margin of 66,566 votes, but her husband had registered victory by a slender margin of 14,000 votes in 2009.
Thanking the voters, the Chief Minister said it was the victory of ideology and leadership of Congress President Sonia Gandhi and Congress Vice-President Rahul Gandhi.
The victory showed that people have expressed faith and confidence in the programmes and policies of the state government and it will further strengthen the resolve to ensure overall growth of the entire state irrespective of caste, creed, religion or region.
He also thanked Congress workers for their efforts in creating positive environment at village level.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video